HISTORY

Prior to the establishment of ITI Nagaon, at the same campus, there was a polytechnic, running since 1955 to 1959.The present ITI Nagaon was established on 1st August in the year 1960.

In the year 1960 ten Trades were introduced namely Forger & Heat Treater, Carpenter, Electrician, Wireman, Fitter, Turner, Machinist, Mech. Motor Vehicle, Mech. Diesel and Welder(Gas & Electric).

In the year 1985 another two Trades were introduced namely “Cutting and Sewing” and Stenography (English).

In 1988 one more Trade was introduced as Draughtsman (Civil).

In the year 1995 "Electronic Mechanic" Trade was introduced under World Bank Project. Subsequently this Trade has been upgraded by the Department of Electronics, Govt. of India, into “Information Technology and Electronic System Maintenance (IT&ESM)” w.e.f. 1st August 2003 and followed by an inaugural function on 10th November 2003.

The institute was modernized under World Bank Project. In the scheme strengthening of the existing trades and introduction of a new trade as “Computer Operator & Programming Assistant (COPA)” under PM’s NE’s Package was accomplished in 2005.

In the year 2006 "Institute Management Committee" was formed to smoothly conduct the institute.

In the year 2008 the institute was upgraded & accepted as one of the “Centre of Excellence” ITI by Govt. of India introducing the IT Sector. Thus the institute became "Centre of Excellence" in "Information Technology Sector". In this process whole the COPA trade, one unit each from IT&ESM and Electrician trades were merged with IT Sector and three Modules were fulfilled among six Modules of IT(BBBT), further the old hostel building was renovated and shifted the whole IT Sector to that building.

In the year 2009 the "Food Processing Unit" was set up in joint collaboration between "Gajraj Corps" & ITI Nagaon. Further the workshop of MMV trade was also upgraded to "MPFI Based Trade Training Workshop" in support of "Gajraj Corps".

In the year 2010 three Advanced Modules were also added with IT Sector named 1) "Repair & Maintenance of Hardware of Computer & Peripherals", 2) "Computer Networking" and 3) "Multi Media & Web page Designing".

In the year 2010 "Secretarial Practice" Trade was introduced by new admission for session starting from 1st August.

On 10-09-2012 the institute launched the own website www.itinagaon.com

On 21st November 2012 the State-of-the-Art Automobile Workshop, newly set up for Automobile Sector in support of "TATA Motors" was inaugurated by Sri Tarun Gogoi, Hon'ble Chief Minister, Assam in presence of prominent dignitaries of Assam & India. Within the ultramodern automobile workshop installation of new simulation machine for driving moved the institute to a new eminence. At the same time an automobile "SERVICE CENTRE" was also set up in collaboration with "TATA Motors" which was vested on "DEKA Motors" as an authorised service provider of TATA Motors.

As per order released from DGE&T by letter no:- (DGE&T - 19(19) / 2010-CD 24th March 2011) IT Literacy is implemented as compulsory subject with all CTS trades of the institute from session starting 2011-12 and as per guide lines first batch of trainees appeared the on-line qualifying test under DOEACC in January 2012. (N.B.-In the year 2013 the compulsory status of IT Literacy as separate subject was withdrawn by DGE&T and it was merged with Employability Skill)

As per order released from DGE&T by letter no.-(DGE&T-19(4)/2011-CD-Pt Dated-17th January 2013) Semester System was implemented in place of all existing CTS Trades of the institute from 1st August 2013.

First On-Line Registration for admission started through DE&CT Assam website www.itiassam.nic.in on 11th July 2016.